Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Dave


This week my sexy husband celebrated his birthday! I am so blessed to have Dave in my life. He is an amazing father. He works so hard to provide for our family and his selfless sacrifice provides me with the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. Dave sticks by me through all my craziness and is always there to pick me up when I am down. I love that Dave will always be a little kid at heart. I love to watch him play with the kids or put Ben to sleep. He always has an answer for the kids crazy questions and the answer is correct not some made up answer just to get them to stop asking question like mine.

I got a present for Dave's birthday because he took the day off! That is always a welcome event at our house! I love it when we can all spend time together. I also learned that our children are horrible at keeping secrets.

The day started off with Will singing Happy Birthday. This is so cute! When ever I hear Will sing or use new words my heart melts!


Next I took Samantha and Will to pick out their present and card for Dave. I planned on doing this the day of his birthday because I knew they would be so excited they couldn't keep the card or present to themselves.

I was surprised that they agreed on a present to give him together. I was thinking I was making progress in my parenting skills. Then came the cards. They each wanted to pick out their own, so much for good parenting, and they both wanted the singing ones. So we sat a Wal-Mart for 20 minutes listening to cards sing and neither one of them knowing or caring about what was written on the cards. It was all about the sound!


Once we were home Samantha informed Dave that when I took him to dinner that night she was going to decorate the house and surprise him. I was not aware of this plan so I took her aside and asked her for more information on her "plan". I ended up taking her to the store so she could pick up a few things for her "plan". Samantha entered the store and walked right up to the balloon desk and said "I need 6 of those balloons and 6 of those. It is my Dad's birthday. Fill them up and I will be back to get them. I have some other things to pick up." Then looked at me and said "come on Mom"! Her "other" things included crate paper, party hats, a birthday sign, plates, cups, napkins and utensils.

On the way home from the store she said "Here is the plan. I will go in the house and tell Dad to go downstairs because Tara needs to do something in my room. Then I will come out to the car and get you and you bring all the stuff in and put it in my room." Her plan went off without any problems.

Once her items were safely in her room I decided to face the music again. By that I mean the signing cards. I got them out so the kids could write in them. Once in the envelope it was "Mom can I give this to Dad yet" until we left for dinner.

I also had them help me wrap their present. When it was all wrapped I asked Will to go put it on the table. He took it walked right over to Dave and said "Here is your kite".

Our niece Katelyn came and stayed with the kids while I took Dave to dinner. I don't think I could ever get tired of being with Dave. After the meal we returned home to the kids decorations and pie (Dave doesn't like cake).

The kids had put crate paper every where they could reach it was so cute! They also put all the candles they could find in the pie. They sang Happy Birthday, cha cha cha, ooo laa to Dave. While we were eating the pie Sam and Will presented Dave with their cards and gift. He opened each of their cards and provided some supportive fatherly feed back to which Samantha said..."now can I have that card". The kids also gave him the remote control kite they picked out for him. They love to fly their kites with Dave and are anxiously awaiting a warm windy day so they can test out his present!



3 comments:

These Are The Days said...

That Samantha sounds like a hoot! She's definitely a female, has a plan and knows exactly what she wants. Kids make all holidays the best. Happy Birthday Dave!

rachel said...

Am I seriously listening to Journey on your blog? I totally have memories of listening to this song in your car. Anyway... Happy Birthday Dave! Sorry I didn't get you a singing birthday card. PS my kids never keep a secret from their Dad either.

Megan said...

That's so cute! Sam is so creative...what a great decorator!!
I'm glad you gus got a little date in there for just the two of you. When does he leave for Japan again?