Friday, July 17, 2009

Happy 7th Birthday Samantha

It must have happened
in the in-between times
when I was busy with the dishes
or when you were sleeping.

I didn't see all the changes
that took you from baby bump
to sweet newborn girl
to exhausting toddler
to preschooler, with a thousand ideas and questions.

Suddenly, I looked at you closely
and saw that you were a young lady
with tan skin and loose teeth
and the roundness of your baby face
had melted away to reveal beautiful high cheekbones.

Your baby sounds and broken toddler English
became eloquent and articulate
and I could enjoy your cleverness
and quick sense of humor.

Somehow, despite my best efforts
to hold on to your babyhood
you, my love, have reached the age of reason
and today I realize
just how much we have grown up together.

I cherish the memories of those sweet days
When I could still carry you around on my hip
and you called me "Mommy" instead of just plain "Mom"

But each year as you grow a little more
I become more awed,
more enamoured,
more inspired,
by the little girl that Heavenly Father created
and asked me to mother.

I am grateful to witness the miracle
of my first baby, growing up.

Our sweet Samantha Elizabeth turned 7 this week. She was SO excited for her birthday. The birthday had a few complications but she didn't let it bother her.

The night before her birthday we witnessed an auto pedestrian accident on our way to get ice cream with my parents. The kids sat on the side of the street with my parents while Dave and I assisted the victim until help arrived. This brought a lot of questions from Samantha that I tried to be really patient about. However patience is not my thing. The accident also reminded us how quickly life can change and made us appreciate our precious girl and her beautiful life.

The next unfortunate event came when I realized the gifts I had purchased for her online got sent to her Grandparents house in Colorado. This was the morning of her birthday so there was no possible recovery. I had to tell her the truth and she was very understanding.

Samantha wanted to go to place called Jump On It for her birthday. She invited her cousins and BFF Kiley. We went and waited for 30 minutes and Jump On It never opened. (Don't worry Jump On It was on the receiving end of my temper. Which if you have ever witnessed is not pretty.)

Samantha second party choice was Kangaroo Zoo.
The kids all had fun...Ben still is not a fan.
Samantha was cheesy as always with her presents. It was the first year she could read her cards.
She also didn't hold anything back with her comments. Above she is pointing out that we got her the wrong doll and making sure her journal has a lock on it to keep all her secrets from the boys.
Next was Chuck E Cheese. Samantha loves going to Chuck E Cheese and was all excited to go until she remembered it was by where the accident happened so, she tried to talk us into going to McDonald's. As you can see her wiser parents won this argument.
Last but not least ice cream cake that she put the candles in herself.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Kiley loved it! Cute pictures.
They'll have to go to Jump On It some other time. See ya tomorrow at the Carni. ; }

Katelyn Michael said...

Holy Freak Tara! Did you write that poem?